Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sheena


Sheena is an elderly gal I met on Thanksgiving night who had been kicked out of her senior living apartment a week earlier - everything she owned was bundled into plastic bags and attached to a rolling cart. She'd never been homeless before and she was so out of it that she wasn't quite sure what day it was. She was dirty, freezing cold, and very lonely. She couldn't move very well so, at her request, I dug into her bags and found a blanket to cover her with. As I sat with her, a young woman walked up, asked me if Sheena was hungry and graciously offered the large portion of left-overs she had planned to take home that night.

I look for Sheena often but haven't seen her since Thanksgiving night. I hope and pray that she's found a place to keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment